[fpc-devel] Re: fpc-devel Digest, Vol 93, Issue 57

steve smithers stevie at collector.org
Mon Jan 30 18:44:44 CET 2012

> > michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be wrote the following on 30/01/12 17:35
>
> I had in mind the following scenario:
>
> 1) Somehow we build - using cross-compilation - a first version of the
>  compiler that actually runs on the 370. This binary is transferred to a
>  370 machine.

I haven't got that far in my notes yet but...  Cross-compilation - yes.
Building a 370 binary on Linux or Windows - Well you can if you want but...
Transfer binary to a 370 machine - Whew.  This is problematic.

It's not any problem to move the binary itself, but there is more required
than the binary itself in order to produce an executable load module on any
OS version.  (I can't comment on VM or DOS cause they are a mystery to me).
An OS binary consists of more than the binary and I know of no way to build
that information on Linux or Windows.

I would very strongly suggest cross-compile fpc on Linux/Windows using a version
that emits, not gas assembler but 370 assembler.  I will be talking about gas vs
370 assembler later.  The assembler output can be in ASCII or EBCDIC as rvmartin
said it's just a character encoding.  The advantage is that you only need to
upload a text file(s).  Feed it into the OS assembler and link programs and you
have a 370 load module.

> 2) The sources of the compiler and RTL are transferred to the 370.
>  I assume that after the file transfer, the sources are still in ASCII format ?

It depends on the options you use on your file transfer program, but I would
convert to EBCDIC here.

> 3) At that point the compiler can try to recompile itself on the 370
>  machine.
Yes.

--
Regards