[fpc-devel] simple UTF tests

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jan 5 16:53:27 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
> >> With Lazarus on Linux, I did some simple tests with UTF strings.
> >>
> >> I found that the length of an "AnsiString(CP_UTF16)" is given in terms
> >> of bytes and not of Words. Is this like it should ?
> >
> > Yes. Afaik that is not a sane combination, but Delphi compatible.
>
> Which Delphi version supports AnsiString(CP_UTF16)???

> At least XE and successors only support byte-char (AnsiChar) codepages
> with AnsiString and RawByteString.

There is a difference between Delphi accepting it and doing something sane.

FPC afaik also accepts and afaik also doesn't do anything sane, so that is
compatible :-)

Btw in this thread it was already mentioned that Delphi doesn't define
CP_UTF16, but one easily could define it and create the above code.