[fpc-devel] simple UTF tests

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jan 5 13:35:18 CET 2012

On 01/05/2012 12:32 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> When converted to something else, the default system encoding for the
> corresponding default string is probably used. To force 8 or 16 bits
> one should use pansichar or pwidechar. This is Delphi compatible.
Hmm.

( Would it not be more "sane" to always use the default system encoding
(i.e. UTF-8 in Linux) for pchar and auto-convert the string content ? )

After writing this, I suppose this is not possible, as there is no data
area where the converted information should be stored. So we are out of
luck wanting a sane solution :( .

-Michael