[fpc-devel] Changing Windows API A routines in SysUtils to W in Windows NT

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 6 19:11:21 CET 2012

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> Hello,
>
> SysUtils for Windows utilizes only A Windows APIs, while it could use
> W APIs in Windows NT. The attached patch starts correcting improving
> the situation.
>
> Advantages of the patch:
>
> * Allows for unicode file names in TStringList.LoadFromFile if you
> install paswstrings as the unicode manager.
>
> Disadvantages of the patch:
>
> * None that I can imagine.
>
> Waiting for comments.

As you know, we are very keen on backwards compatibility.

Are you sure that if a AnsiString filename which contains codepage-specific
characters is used to open a file, it will still open the same file after
this patch is applied ?

In particular, does the opening of a DOS-style filename (Program~1\blah)
still work as it used to ?

Michael.