[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Dec 25 13:24:22 CET 2012

Sven Barth wrote:
> On 25.12.2012 11:32, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

>> Although I think the time is approaching when some CPUs- IA-64 etc.- and
>> OSes could usefully be moved into an "attic" subtree.
>>

> They aren't compiled anyway, so they don't affect the compiler's
> performance negatively.
> So it does not matter whether they are inside the compiler tree or
> something else. And after all there could somebody who takes enough
> interest to implement such a CPU... *cough* m68k *cough* ;)

Agreed. But combinations that don't compile meaningfully (e.g. the
compiler targeting IA-64) or at all without at least backported patches
(various RTLs including MacOS Classic, Amiga etc.) could IMO usefully be
in compiler/attic and rtl/attic. In other words, anything in the main
directories should compile and run, and if somebody spots that that is
no longer the case then it's a candidate for being fixed.

Obviously this is a personal opinion. I for one am not trying to hector,
badger, buffalo or otherwise irritate the coee team :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk