[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Mon Dec 17 11:32:05 CET 2012

17.12.2012 13:55, Sven Barth пишет:
>> smart linking MSEide on
>> 64 bit Linux is not possible with 2GB ram,
> Linking is a problem of ld, not of Free Pascal. ld was not designed for the workload we put on it
> (especially regarding smart linking). You could try however if the new internal ELF linker solves
> this problem for you (I don't know whether it already supports smart linking; this is something that
> Sergei should answer)

The problem here is that smartlinking is still being done with archives (.a) on x86 Linux targets,
while ld's preferred mode of operation is section-based smartlinking. Switching to section-based
smartlinking will probably reduce memory requirements to acceptable level. However, FPC does not
handle exported symbols correctly and they get lost if section-based smartlinking is used.

The internal linker of course supports smartlinking, moreover it is not sensitive to the mentioned
exported symbol issue.

Regards,
Sergei.