[fpc-devel] Please include gmp.dll in Win32 distribution of FPC 2.6.2 and later

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 2 11:02:00 CET 2012

On 02.12.2012 10:20, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> In my ongoing efforts to prevent elimination of Pascal/FPC from a set
> of languages used to teach programming, I have recently encountered
> another problem:
> although FPC does include "gmp" unit for arbitrary-precision calculations,
> programs compiled with it require "gmp" dynamic library.
> This library currently is a separate download, which outlaws its usage
> in programming competitions, forcing participants to use Java or
> Python instead.

We can not bundle such libaries as different (Linux) distributions will
have different dependencies like different versions of the libc and then
this library would not load anyway (and Free Pascal would be accused for
being crap because of this). This is why we rely on the distros
themselves to supply such dynamic libraries.

Regards,
Sven