[fpc-devel] MIPS target: progress report?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 11:09:48 CEST 2012

Pierre Free Pascal wrote:
> I worked on it quite some time before leaving for holidays,
> and tried to get it working again with current svn trunk...
> I haven't yet checked if current svn trunk is
> usable for mipsel target.
>

> Currently, using revision 21906
> you should be able to do a complete 'make all install' at
> fpcsrc level with one restriction:
> 'make all' normally uses -O2 option
> by default, but this optimization option is still broken for
> mipsel cpu.
> adding
>   FPCCPUOPT=-O1 should enable a successful completion of the 'make all'.
>
> As Sven mentioned , it still has something like 145 failures
> for a testsuite, so there are still lots of open issues.
>
> Commit rev 22196 fixes one problem related to fpu register saving.

Thanks for that Pierre, and thanks for the work you've put into it. I
don't know whether I'll be any use for fixing any of the remaining
issues, but will make a point of getting it onto one of my development
systems.

I'm told that Lemote is starting to make server-style boxes (8 cores,
16Gb) but price isn't known yet.

When I started comparing the FPC source with the unofficial MIPS fork on
Sourceforge, I was hoping that I'd be able to make some sense of what
was going on and document it. I think that Paul Robinson approached a
potential zSeries (IBM mainframe port) with the same intention
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/ZSeries#Implementation_status

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk