[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 18:44:45 CEST 2012

Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
>>> this is a huge move for a native code compiler. If FPC will follow, this
>>> sounds like a lot of work.
>> I don't see much work here. The code for handling interface references
>> exists, it only has to be applied to the new TObject type, too.
>
> I'm not sure but afaik the current situation doesn't have any support for
> breaking cycles. Heavier use will probably need that.

Cycles are one of the reasons for using Free or other explicit
finalizers, regardless of the GC model.

Mark-sweep collectors can remove also clusters with cyclic references,
but they can/should not call the destructors of these (any) objects,
because this could result in infinite recursion or other unwanted
effects. Clearing the references before calling the destructors is not a
solution, because it can prevent proper operation of the destructors.

DoDi