[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 14:53:14 CEST 2012

On 21 August 2012 13:03, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:
> With "not so often" I meant program runtime:  it is usually not called in a
> close long running loop.

I have a program that does exactly that... Loads files to do CRC
checking to see what changed. It's a recursive find-all that goes
through 100k or more files. It's already a slow process on non-SSD
drives processing 12GB or more of data, so adding the multiple
unnecessary string conversions which will be enforced on Linux users
would make that even worse. For me, every optimisation counts.

With some simple trials in various projects I can clearly see a
Unicode RTL with one string type, and native encoding on each platform
as very plausible. So why the resistance to NOT implement something as
efficient as that??? Such resistance by the FPC project is what
baffles my mind, and why I sometime agree with Martin Schreiber's
ideas.... fork everything and just implement your own damn RTL.

[just finished reading a new Embarcadero blog post about post-XE3 development]
Embarcadero is pretty much dropping the desktop scene (no future there
according to them) and will primarily cater only for mobile
development (iOS and Android). A new compiler, new linker, new
toolkit, new RTL, new debugger. They know full well it will be a
"complete code breaking change again". Oooh, I wonder how FPC and
Lazarus is going to "clone" that? Does everybody still want to keep
following Delphi?

     http://blogs.embarcadero.com/jtembarcadero/2012/08/20/xe3-and-beyond/

  - Graeme -