[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:27:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 20 August 2012 17:37, Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> True, it's not yet released but in 2.7.1 aka trunk for development,
> testing and bug fixing.

Understood. I'm normally reluctant to try FPC Trunk, but thought that
I better try this time round.

>>   * new mode 'delphiunicode' was introduced, but what about developers
>> wanting Unicode,
>>     but the project is a pure FPC project (it has no history of Delphi)?
>
> Then use {$mode objfpc} {$modeswitch unicodestrings}

Ah, I guess I didn't fully understand the modeswitch option. I'll
experiment with this a bit more.

>>     used type, and so too is the objfpc mode. So shouldn't String =
>> UnicodeString in FPC 2.8.0 release  for mode objfpc too?
>
> No, it breaks old code for nothing. We can add an objfpcunicode mode or
> whatever you like.

Now that I know a bit more about the modeswitch option, I could simply
modify my unit templates, so a new compiler mode is probably not
needed then.

>>   * UnicodeString is always UTF-16 (so everything but Windows takes a
>> conversion penalty)!
>
> A decision has been made and you are not happy with it. Fine. But before
> you called the fpc team being in a deadlock?

Many things by the FPC team get discussed or debated behind closed
doors, so how are we even in the fpc-devel mailing list to know what
is decided. Last I read in fpc-devel it was still heavily debated and
no decision was in sight. I guess now we know, the decision is UTF-16
everywhere where UnicodeString is used.

  - Graeme -