[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 10:26:53 CEST 2012

On 20/08/12 08:52, Sven Barth wrote:

> Just to avoid confusion: The reference counted 2-byte string type on all
> platforms is UnicodeString, not WideString (the latter is not reference
> counted on Windows platforms).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think WideString was reference
counted an all platforms "in the beginning" - like Martin mentioned.
Later it was changed, and the new UnicodeString become the "reference
counted on all platforms" type.

> The codepage aware string type was added to 2.7.1, because there already
> existed a branch for this and "just" needed to be merged. There does not
> yet exist any code for Unicode resource strings.

FPC's Unicode support is still in its infancy. It is not just resource
strings that are missing. As my recent message from the fpc-users
mailing list shows.

Vital decisions of how Unicode should be implemented are still not
decided by the FPC team. There is a major problem in the FPC project
though. The FPC team seems to be dead-locked on how to implement Unicode
features. Nobody can agree on anything. Thus no work can be started on
the RTL and FCL.

In the meant time many projects keep implementing there own Unicode
workarounds. Not a good sign, but all we can do.

So the BIG question remains: When will the FPC team sit down and hash
out the details of implementing Unicode support? Please note, I'm not
saying "implement it", just saying... "agree on how it should be
implemented". If the FPC team stays in a dead-lock, then maybe the
better option would be to allow the public to vote on it.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/