[fpc-devel] FPC 2.7.1 r22088 fails with compiler error in fpdoc.

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Aug 16 12:05:32 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> > After compiling I do
> >
> > make FPC=`pwd`/compiler/ppc386 install INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
> >

> You don't need to specify the compiler here as "install" uses the
> compiled compiler (AFAIK).

IIRC it used to work if the all and install targets are in the same invocation,
but not when separating make into two different calls and the version of the
globally installed compiler and the version to install differ. It might also
apply to other state (crosscompilation state related), never got to the
bottom of that.

Since I routine do this now (passing the compiler in compiler/ to make
install), I don't know if it changed.

Probably the version info queried in "make all" gets updated along the way
for use after make cycle, and those updates are lost when make is restarted
and rebuilt using the compiler in the $PATH