[fpc-devel] FPC 2.7.1 r22088 fails with compiler error in fpdoc.

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Aug 16 10:47:19 CEST 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Sven Barth wrote:

> Am 16.08.2012 10:32, schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:

>>> "make cycle" only works in the compiler directory and is used
>>> internally by a "make all" to compile a new compiler in the correct
>>> way and to ensure that it can compile itself again.
>>>
>>> Normal users don't need "make cycle".
>>
>> They do when using a trunk compiler. Not if using the released compiler.
>
> The only trunk compiler they could use for compiling a trunk compiler is the
> compiler that is created for that exact revision. Using an older trunk
> compiler (even using "make cycle") is not supported and I don't think it's
> good to encourage people to use an (older) trunk compiler to compile trunk...

I did not suggest that, on the contrary ?

When using a trunk compiler (that was a given from OP) the only way to update is
the following:

# update rtl & compiler to latest trunk.
svn update rtl compiler
# run cycle using latest release.
make cycle PP=latest-release
# now you have latest rtl & compiler ready to install.
make install

I have this automated in a script.

If you have only the release compiler, cycle is not needed.
Then, you can just recompile the RTL, packages, utils.

Michael.