[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Sep 16 11:47:56 CEST 2011

On 16/09/2011 02:49, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Martin schrieb:
>>>>
>> Any app that loads a text from disk.
>
> Again: please answer my question first: How many *users*?

Are your trying to prove your point by answering questions, that can not
be answered ( I don't even know how many users use FPC) ?
If you need to go that way, that rather proves the weakness of your point.

My guess more than 90% of all apps deal with some form of user input [1]?
So the answer is more than 90% of the users/developers/apps.

-
[1]
Even if the user input does not always contain such data, even if the
user input in most cases does not contain such data. The point is the
user input can contain such data (even if by accident/unintentional). As
for writing an app, if it *can* happen, then the app *must* be able to
deal with it.
So for any application: even a 0.0001% chance that it will happen, means
the app must 100% deal with it.

That is unless you document: "if any of the input contains ..., then
your app will [crash|fail| display nonsense]" => because of course if a
crash is documented, it isn't a bug, it becomes a feature ;)