[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 19:58:19 CEST 2011

cobines schrieb:
> 2011/9/15 Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de>:
>> If thy use Lazarus they are forced to use Unicode unless they wand to stick
>> with a very old version.
>
> Then this is a problem of Lazarus. They want to make applications with
> Lazarus (which is always UTF-8?) and they are unaware of using Unicode
> where they wanted to use Ansi. I don't know if in Delphi you can use
> just Ansi, but if you cannot use Ansi in Lazarus then people should be
> aware of it before they start using it and learn. As far as I know
> there is a page on Lazarus Wiki explaining it.

There exist few situations where Ansi code really deserves updates, when
  ported to FPC/Lazarus. Filename conversion comes into mind, and
eventually conversion in string exchange with LCL controls.

UTF-16 strings will remove all these problems, because all 8-bit Ansi
codepages are part of the Unicode BMP, and consequently deserve no
further conversions.

DoDi