[fpc-devel] Unicode support (yet again)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Sep 15 11:38:01 CEST 2011

On 09/15/2011 11:06 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> and to show you AGAIN how flawed your "direct index access to a
> character" example is.
It's not "my" intend to use it. I'll never use it as I do know that it
is bound to create problems. But it is what generations of pascal
programmers are trained to do. They all need to be re-trained. In fact
this is just "Syntax-Candy" (as here native Array-syntax is used for a
non-array type). So it could be removed or modified to better support
the expectation of the "generations of pascal programmers" even in times
of Unicode.
> How is that 'Öse' entered into the system.
I was assuming a current Lazarus version as an IDE and here UTF-8 is
used. (older Lazarus versions in fact did use locale ANSI code, thus
supporting the "generations of pascal programmers")

-Michael