[fpc-devel] bounty: FPC based debugger

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:01:51 CEST 2011

On 12/09/2011 14:57, Dimitri Smits wrote:

> I don't disagree with the need for a prime debugger, nor with the
> amounts of bounty everyone is offering, just with the statements
> above.

I still stand with my statement that it will NOT cost 100,000 - 200,000
euros to get a basic working debugger!

Then you should also keep an open mind that this is an open-source
project - thus costs are generally much lower to commercial
counterparts. Why, because it is often done part-time with no or little
time constraints, by developers that love to improve open-source
software. It's for the love of programming, not just to get rich. Then
also deduct the cost you saved from getting FPC and its stacks of tools,
components and high quality documentation for FREE. Embarcadero will
charge you $3500 for something similar, but which lacks in many other
areas compared to Free Pascal. Not to mention that EMB forces you to
re-purchase a new version/upgrade after every release - roughly once
every 12-18 months.

It's simple really. If nobody is interested, that is fine too! I'll
continue my efforts either way, albeit much slower than somebody that
has more free time than I, or that is more experienced in the subject
than I. It's a great learning experience for me already, so I don't
consider my time waisted so far.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/