[fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Sep 12 09:34:23 CEST 2011

On 12 Sep 2011, at 09:22, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> So maybe one should start a wiki page regarding this, putting down
> some
> ideas that others can review and contribute towards?  Building up
> towards a specification we can later submit to the DWARF guys.

That certainly sounds like a good idea.

> Would the incentive of money make it more "interesting"? ;-)  See my
> bounty I just posted to the mailing list.

No, I have no interest in writing or maintaining a self-written
debugger. Especially because on the platforms I primarily support (Mac
OS X, iOS) the debugger interface with the OS is partially private and
regularly changes between OS releases. Writing and maintaining a multi-
platform debugger is not something you quickly do on the side and then
forget about, it's a major project by itself that requires sustained
development just like a compiler.

Jonas