[fpc-devel] Status and ideas about debug info (stabs, dwarf / dwar3)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Sep 11 23:40:08 CEST 2011

On 11 Sep 2011, at 23:36, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 11/09/2011, Jonas Maebe  wrote:
>>
>> Neither DWARF 3 nor DWARF 4 supports properties. I'm not aware of anyone
>> submitting a proposal to add them to the DWARF standard either. See e.g.
>
> I was under the impression that you could now define (at least with
> DWARF3 upwards) your own types or language constructs, without the
> need for having those added to the official DWARF specifications.

All versions of the DWARF spec have support for vendor-specific extensions. I don't see the advantage of allocating one of those and communicating it to other compiler writers (to avoid them using that same extension for something else) instead of submitting it for inclusion in the official DWARF standard though. Such things should only be used in cases where there is no chance of ever getting it included in the standard.

Jonas