[fpc-devel] Build error on Win32 - SVN Trunk

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Sep 10 21:11:36 CEST 2011

On 10 Sep 2011, at 20:52, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:

> Hi, I'm trying to compile the SVN Trunk version using FPC 2.5.1 to bootstrap.

This is wrong. It has always been wrong and will always be wrong. Bootstrapping has always only been supported and will always only be supported when starting with the latest official release. There was a thread on this list just two days ago in which I repeated that again two times:
* http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-devel/2011-September/025951.html
* http://lists.freepascal.org/lists/fpc-devel/2011-September/025953.html

> And it worked without problems until today. I do this process once a month.
>
> When I do "make clean all PP=e:\pp\bin\i386-win32\ppc386.exe" the compiling process starts, and after a while, I get this error message:
>
> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), __missing_command_CMP -i218 ppc3.exe ppc386.exe, ...) failed.
>
> Is this a bug?, or I have use another compiler to bootstrap?.

You have to have the directory with the binaries of a *full install* of the latest release in your path for bootstrapping to be supported. Not a snapshot. Not a self-compiled version. Not just a compiler binary. The complete install of the latest release.

Jonas