[fpc-devel] new string - question on usage

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Oct 11 11:48:41 CEST 2011

On 10/11/2011 11:30 AM, Paul Ishenin wrote:
> 11.10.2011 16:52, Michael Schnell wrote:
>> In fact I still don't understand the difference between a type called
>> "RawByteString"and a basic new String that happens to be set to the
>> encoding "RawByte".
>
> Encoding RawByte as well as encoding 0 (CP_ACP) are both treated as
> DefaultSystemCodePage at pleaces where the paticular encoding must be
> known.
(a) Sorry, but this does not answer the question I tried to ask
(Difference between a possible type called RawByteString and a basic
"new string" variable that happens to be set to the Encoding ID "RawByte").

(b) I had the impression that the Encoding "RawByte" prevents any
auto-Conversion. If this is not the case, IMHO, such an encoding ID
should exist, as it can make sense to have a string variable that either
is not intended to hold readable text (but just bytes) or the coding of
which is still unknown and that might get a "readable text" encoding ID
later.

-Michael