[fpc-devel] OpenBSD compiler

Pierre Free Pascal pierre at freepascal.org
Mon Oct 10 00:26:37 CEST 2011

> > ? I tested if getdirentries35 works OK,
> > I was able to do a gmake cycle on a 4.4 openbsd.
> >
> > Committed in 19423.
>
> For me the one before this already worked.
>
> I tried a "make all", and that failed in the fpmake of fcl-base on the
pipe
> syscall.  That's a know gotcha that I know still from 1.0.x times, so it
was
> easily fixed. (*) If you tried "make all" before, don't forget to run make
> distclean though, to kill stale fpmake's.

  I surely spend some time trying to understand that failure...
Great you already knew about it!

> The "make all" snapshot is still running for more than an hour now, and
> already way beyond the previous problem point.  The slowliness is probably
> combination of VM and slower than usual assembling and ARing without
> binwriter.
>
> Ok, the make all just stopped, it breaks on pkgwget when compiling fppkg.

  I got to the same point now...
I will try to launch a native openbsd testsuite overnight.

> Anyway, if the snapshot runs to completion tomorrow, we'll see if we can
> upload it. Then we merge openbsd to fixes after 2.6.0-final is branched
off,
> so that we have a 2.6 series starting compiler.
>
> (*) FreeBSD's pipe command contains an optimization. The array is not
passed
> to the syscall, and the results are stored in regs, not in the array. The
> wrapper code stores the regs in the array.
  The current FreeBSD code is i386/x86_64 only...
maybe it should use the normal code you added for other CPUs
(even if those are not yet supported...)

Pierre