[fpc-devel] RE $MODE Delphi

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Tue Nov 29 17:51:36 CET 2011

On 29-11-2011 16:54, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:
> mode delphi is used in a huge amount of code, so any break in
> backwards compatibility here would be extremely unwelcome. It surely
> would break a lot of code that I wrote. But yes, $mode strictdelphi
> looks like a good idea if you want to implement it.
Provided it is limited to the compiler itself - which is what I want -,
I think I may be able create a patch.
If there is more demand for it.

Then there are the three options on how to implement:
Should it generate a hint, a warning or a syntax error in case of a
violation?
I suggest a 'warning: % is not supported by Delphi'. That way code
generation continues, which seems correct, because the generated binary
will still work.