[fpc-devel] RE $MODE Delphi

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Tue Nov 29 16:14:02 CET 2011

On 29-11-2011 15:46, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> Possibly, but it would also require RTL changes (the FPC system unit
> contains many types, constants, variables and functions that do not
> exist in Delphi -- and for programmers the difference between the
> language and the system unit is often not very clear) and possibly
> also blocking certain packages (which can't be compiled with Delphi).
> It would be a lot of work even if you would limit it to only the
> compiler (the use of which would be questionable), and additionally
> only few people are interested in such functionality.
>
> For backwards compatibility reasons, such changes would have to go
> into a separate mode switch. Patches for that could be accepted, but
> again, without also changing the RTL and packages I'm not sure how
> much it would help you in reaching your goal.
>

> Jonas
>
> PS: please do not reply to existing messages when starting a new
> topic, it messes up threading both in mail clients and in web archives.
I was merely indicating syntactical elements, not the use of specific
units, variables and constants, not even the RTL as such.
So, much like $mode objfpc extends the syntax let $mode delphi restrict
the syntax.
There is a case to make that f.e. the C style operators and the macro
facilities belong to $mode objfpc anyway.
Or am I wrong here?
Or is there value in it?
In that case I will have a look if I can create a patch for a $mode
strictdelphi (or whatever name is convenient).
It should merely exclude extended syntactical elements not available in
Delphi compared to the current Delphi compatibility support.

Sorry about the location of my last post regarding this.