[fpc-devel] Unicode proceedings

DaWorm daworm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 00:02:30 CET 2011

On Nov 18, 2011 1:14 PM, "Hans-Peter Diettrich" <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com>
wrote:

> That's not easily feasable, as long as empty strings are implemented as
Nil pointers. When reference counting etc. should be preserved, the
additional information had to be moved into an static string descriptor,
together with the pointer to the dynamic string content. And what about
temporary strings, used in string expressions?

I was thinking that the type for this sort of thing would be done at
compile time, not run time, but I suppose I expressed that quite poorly.

> I don't think that an added "disposition" will improve anything, because
its value has to be checked with every access to a string variable. With
strictly typed strings (of fixed encoding) all checks can be performed at
compile time.

The idea was that instead of forcing strings to be one way (dynamically
typed) or the other (fixed type), as defined by the compiler writers, that
instead both behaviours be supported, and which is in play for a particular
piece of code is decided by the developer.  How that gets implemented
cleanly could be anything, but I think it would have to be in the type
declaration.

Jeff.