[fpc-devel] Unicode proceedings

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Nov 18 11:18:16 CET 2011

On 11/17/2011 03:01 PM, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> The ansistring and unicodestring types have the same memory layout except
> for the character data (iow the record before the character data is the
> same).
My intention with starting this Thread was not to discuss any
implementation details, but to try to help finding a decent definition.
I do feel that the current FPC implementation (which I did take a look
at, rather than that of Delphi) to a great length provides what is
necessary to adhere to a properly defined naming and functionality scheme.

I think that a decently defined scheme could largely be Delphi
compatible, so that differences (i.e. improvements) can be considered as
"implementation detail" from the view of a Delphi influenced user.

--Michael