[fpc-devel] About GetTickCount

zeljko zeljko at holobit.net
Fri Nov 4 12:05:34 CET 2011

On Friday 04 of November 2011 11:54:16 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 4 November 2011 12:39, Sven Barth <pascaldragon at g.....> wrote:
> > "fpgettimeofday" itself simply calls the syscall "gettimeofday" of the
> > kernel.
>
> I have another "experimental" version of epiktimer that uses the posix
> clock_gettime() (instead of fpgettimeofday), which I had to implement
> myself, because FPC doesn't include a fpXXX call in the unix or
> baseunix units. clock_gettime() is apparently equivalent to the timing
> calls of the Windows multi-media timing API's (many references on the
> internet of this).

No, it's not equivalent for kernels < 2.6.28.
CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW is included in >= 2.6.28 and that kind of clock isn't
disturbed by ntpd changes and other related timer changes.

> But from Michael's first comment in the below bug report, it seems
> that kernel calls clock_gettime() and gettimeofday() returns the same
> information - yet the latter is deprecated. So is using
> fpgettimeofday() at the moment really bad? Based on all this
> information - no.

It is deprecated and at some point it will be removed from kernel, till then
gettimeofday() returns same as clock_gettime(CLOCK_REALTIME), when it's
removed from kernel fpc should be updated and that's it.
Problem is that older versions of fpc won't work with such kernel.

zeljko