[fpc-devel] Macro Processing

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat May 14 11:45:10 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Joerg Schuelke said:
> > some bugs in this functionality in 2.4.x on some platforms though, so
> > it can't be used yet in the compiler
>
> 2) This is the solution? Making the compiler to store somewhere a
> string representation in my object file and then give it back to me if
> I request it by str(enumerate)??? Thats so completely ... overhead,

Not really, if the RTTI is too slow for you, simply generate the array once
on startup.  (disclaimer I actually never have tested RTTI speed)

> Since when has an enumeration such
> kind of name, which lives outside compile time?

Delphi: afaik always. It is a result of its form loading concept. The object
inspector must be able to enumerate the various options for the combobox.

FPC: pretty soon after Delphi compat was started; 1998ish. 0.99.10 or
0.99.12