[fpc-devel] Macro Processing

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri May 13 11:25:36 CEST 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Joerg Schuelke wrote:

> The thoughts about further improvement of the macro capabilities of the
> compiler are now so far along that I can post this paper. But it is not
> that short, about three pages.

In short: No, it is better to keep that particular box of pandora closed.

None of the more "modern" languages implement macros, and this is for good reason.

Pascal has always existed without macros. It keeps code readable:
what you read is what you get.
This is a strength of the language, and should remain that way.

If you want macros, preprocess your code with m4. Or program in C or C++

Michael.