[fpc-devel] MySQL 5.5 and Connector System

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 15:46:47 CET 2011

I just installed MySQL 5.5 and realized that the connector is bound to
5.1. I can see why looking at the code - why this is like that :-)

I had a problem with the usage of $ifdefs all over the place in the code.

It would be worth it since there are so many flavors of MySQL to
re-structure the MySQL component suite to employ the usage of

 {$if defined(MySQL50) or defined(MYSQL51) or defined(MySQL55) or
defined(FutureVersions)}

   CODE HERE
{$eslif defined(MYSQL41)}

   OTHER CODE HERE.
{$endif}

IMO, presently the MySQL connection implement is getting too big to
just add another ifdef ad-hoc.  I did set out yesterday to work on
this but I really don't have the time to figure out why the build
process on v50 connection didin't have $DEFINE mysql50 on a constant
from another unit.  I edited the make files to include mysql55 etc.

So the questions are
1.) Is the dynamic unit system that MySQL connector uses compatible
with $if rather $ifdef ?
2.) What are the important things to change in /packages/mysql and
packages/fcl-db/*sql/ other than the obvious unit names for component
version?

I had to abandon this attempt due to lack of time for this particular
issue, but wanted to point out that I would be willing to implement
mysql connectors as they are released.  My primary choice of DBMS is
MySQL. And I'm planning to stick with it.