[fpc-devel] Linux Signals

Andrew Brunner andrew.t.brunner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 19:33:44 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

> I am neither a kernel hacker nor a network guru, but would a signal be
> raised when a byte was read or when a TCP packet- possibly comprising
> aggregated bytes- was transferred? I think you'd be better not using a
> standard telnet client for this but instead using Netcat (nc) or netpipes
> (faucet and hose) which will not, certainly by default, be fiddling with
> line-ends or aggregating bytes for efficiency.

Thanks for the hints.  Yeah, I'm aware of pipelining with mail
protocols and more recent WebSockets for streaming multiple datagrams.
 In context - I think your suggestion with a tool other than terminal
would be welcomed and adopted ;-)  Thanks again.  Bottom line is - I
am testing signal capabilities and nuances and nc looked promising but
the same result.  The packet was coalesced ending in CRLF with ./nc
... with or without -C  for CRLF sending...

Which tells me there is going to be a SOCKET flag I need to set on the
signal in association with this FD that says... Hey I'm a socket not a
cmmand line session... or something to that effect.