[fpc-devel] NowUTC in the RTL

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Dec 9 15:14:13 CET 2011

In our previous episode, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho said:
> aha, the implementation of NowUTC is a bit more complex then I thought =D
>
> I tested it in Mac OS X and in a linux in a virtual machine and it
> worked perfectly, but now I tested in a linux machine and it failed
> ... and I just found that in my system I have:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/clock
>
> UTC=false <-- problem here
> ARC=false
> ZONE=Poland

Here (FC14) contains:

# The time zone of the system is defined by the contents of /etc/localtime.
# This file is only for evaluation by system-config-date, do not rely on its
# contents elsewhere.
ZONE="Europe/Amsterdam"

and /etc/localtime is binary

So be very careful extrapolating "a" linux distro to "linux".

And FreeBSD doesn't have /etc/sysconfig at all.