[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:28:27 CEST 2011

On 9 August 2011 09:49, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I don't think that the VCL was the issue with Kylix. The issues were (a)
> uncertainty over the Linux community's acceptance of a non-free development

Add to that list:
  - CLX was buggy as hell because they didn't even write the Kylix IDE
using CLX.
  - Developers kept comparing VCL to CLX because Borland marketed it
like that. They should
     have done what EMB is doing with FireMonkey. Clearly state it is
a different framework
      that will have the RTL and other non-gui code in common.
  - They priced Kylix way to high in the beginning.
  - CLX was never updated to Qt 3 when it came out. CLX was based on
Qt 2.2 or something like that.

I'm pretty sure Kylix and CLX would have worked if Borland just paid a
bit more attention to quality and better marketing. Oh well, that's
all done and dusted.

  - Graeme -