[fpc-devel] Delphi XE2 uses FPC for iOS target

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Aug 7 19:52:22 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, Jonas Maebe said:

> I hope so. The main problem I see with that is that they would become
> somewhat "tainted" by the FPC source code if they do so, which may make it
> harder to work on their own compiler later on.  As long as they don't
> start blatantly copying code from FPC into their own compiler (like some
> people did in the past with Delphi RTL code into the FPC RTL)

I'm not sure that actually happened in all cases. It was a bubble, and
internal frameworks in companies were quickly thrown together with whatever
code available (and Delphi code being no problem since they had licenses), and later
they were donated to FPC later.

That doesn't meant it wasn't wrong, both the donating as the accepting
party should have checked and noticed it. But that is something else then
knowingly copying it.

That being said, there is another bubble going on in Mobile, and we have to
be very careful that such things don't happen again.