[fpc-devel] intptr_t and Linux

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Apr 24 18:40:44 CEST 2011

In our previous episode, ik said:
> > > Linux.
> >
> > I guess this went to the wrong list. I can't find any intptr_t in e.g. the
> > FreeBSD rtl.
>
> Right, my bad.
>
> ik at ik-office:~/projects/fpc/fpc/rtl$ grep -in intptr_t ./* -R | grep -v svn
> ./netbsd/sysnr.inc:144:  { syscall: "sbrk" ret: "int" args: "intptr_t"  }

(hasn't been updated in 8 years, that is dead code)

netware and solaris remaining.

> But why doesn't it included ?
> It does exists on stdint.h and I can see that gcc C's preprocessor add it to
> final result.

We add identifiers on a need-based basis, we don't vacuum the headers to
find as many identifiers as possible.

And anyway, it is the c equivalent of ptrint which is a FPC system type.

To further compilate it, the upcoming 64-bit Delphi iirc will also call the
equivalent intptr.

and ptrint, intptr and (c)intptr_t is a bit too much without very good
reasons.

So, what do you need it for, and why can't you use simply ptrint?