[fpc-devel] Extended type

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:04:08 CEST 2011

On 17.04.2011 19:30, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Some time ago I've heard a rumor that the Extended type is not supported
> by x86_64 targets. But AFAIK the x87 FPU continues to exist in 64 bit
> machines, and is still accessible by the well known coprocessor
> instruction set.
>
> So what's the current state of floating point types in FPC?

On Windows 64-bit you must not use the x87 FPU, because Microsoft wants
it so. Thus on Win64 Extended=Double.

On other x86_64 based operating systems the state might be different.

Other CPUs don't even have a coprocessor or only a vendorspecific one
(like some ARMs) and thus there's also the rule Extended=Double.

Regards,
Sven