[fpc-devel] Adding a new assembler to Free Pascal Compiler

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Apr 5 09:46:43 CEST 2011

On 04/05/2011 02:09 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> So in short what I am looking for is a pascal compiler which takes
> care of all the work like "lexing/tokenizing/parsing/parse tree/syntax
> tree/symantec checks/perhaps even optimizing the intermediate code"
> and gives me something to work with like a syntax tree or some form of
> abstract assembler (structures) like free pascal seems to do...
If you just need "a pascal compiler" and not the advanced ""Object
Pascal" stuff that FP provides, maybe gcc is more suitable. gcc (= "Gnu
Compiler Collection") provides multiple front ends (c is the most known,
Pascal is one of them) and as theses create a well defined intermediate
code that is usable by all backends, it can compile Pascal to binaries
for all supported archs.

-Michael