[fpc-devel] "helper" feature finished

Paul Ishenin ip at kmiac.ru
Tue Apr 5 04:27:39 CEST 2011

05.04.2011 3:51, Sven Barth wrote:

> Both "class helpers" and "record helpers" are implemented and work as
> Delphi compatible as reasonably possible.

Congratulations.

> Some notes regarding the tests:
> * three record helper tests (trhlp*) fail, because nested types are not
> supported by (advanced) records (two should fail nevertheless, because
> they try to access (strict) private helpers, the third should succeed)

Nested types in records are supported actually. Maybe you found a bug?

> * three more record helper tests fail, because the abbreviated syntax to
> access default properties is not supported

Indeed, I forgot about this feature during the implementation.

> Regarding performance:
> For projects that don't use helper types (like currently all code
> provided by FPC) there isn't much speed difference, because
> 1. I check whether a symtable contains a helper at all (using the new
> symtable options) before searching through it when it's pushed on the
> symtable stack
> 2. I check whether the current module contains helped types at all

We probably can extend these tricks for other types and may be speedup
the compiler.

I think your branch should be reviewed either by Florian or by Jonas
before the merge.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin