[fpc-devel] RIP NoGlobals

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 30 11:45:11 CEST 2010

On 30 Sep 2010, at 11:29, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Lazarus allows to switch targets on the fly, what currently prevents
> an incorporation of the compiler into the IDE.

There are more things that prevent that, not in the least that almost
any source code error will result in lots of memory leaks from the
compiler.

> For compiler development and debugging purposes it would be very
> nice, when all targets are covered in one compile.

It increases the compiler build time, which is not nice. And I
personally, as a compiler developer and debugger, think it's very nice
that everything is cleanly separated and that it's not possible to
have accidental cross-target dependencies, which could result in
changes in the constants/types for one target to suddenly impact a
completely different target.

Until FPC is developed by perfect programmers that never make any
errors, I think that minimising the way in which things can get
entangled is the best way.

Jonas