[fpc-devel] proposal for palette-related graph unit interface changes

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 17 19:32:27 CEST 2010

  On 09/17/2010 04:32 PM, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Am 15.09.2010 17:05, schrieb Nikolay Nikolov:

>>> But this will break existing FPC code, right? I'am also not sure if the
>>> palettes as they are done were invented for other OSes e.g. Amiga or
>>> Atari
>> Yes, it'll break existing FPC code (but will also improve TP7
>> compatibility),
> I guess most people depend now on FPC compatibility so I'd prefer to
> leave it as it is.

Ok then, what about adding the ExtendedRGBPaletteRange (or some similar
name - BGICompatibleRGBPaletteRange?) global variable, that allows using
0..63 range in SetRGBPalette, when set to false (or true, if it's called
BGICompatibleRGBPaletteRange)? We can still make FPC compatibility
(0..255) the default, so existing FPC applications won't break and TP7
applications would be able to easily enable the TP7-compatible range
0..63. At least in the case of 256-colour modes (SVGA256.bgi) this means
pretty much 100% TP7 palette compatibility (when porting code from TP7
to FPC, all the other palette differences only affect 16-colour modes,
because TP7's PaletteType, SetPalette, SetAllPalette, etc. have no
effect in 256-colour modes).