[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 23:38:40 CEST 2010

Florian Klämpfl schrieb:

> This is a very specific example which allows to explain rather simple
> the slowness of 2.x: The reason is a decision geared by maintainability
> and portability: 2.x uses a so-called graph colouring register allocator
> while 1.x used a pretty simple register allocator specifically tailored
> for i386.

Shouldn't we make the register allocator configurable, so that e.g.
non-release builds can become faster, and several replacements can be
tested easily?

The same for other parts of the compiler, where the time-per-task is the
first information required to detect real bottlenecks, and to check
alternative solutions.

DoDi