[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Sep 12 19:14:04 CEST 2010

On 12 Sep 2010, at 19:05, Adem wrote:

> On 9/12/2010 12:53 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>> On 12 Sep 2010, at 11:41, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>>> There's a free profiler for Windows by AMD: http://developer.amd.com/cpu/codeanalyst/Pages/default.aspx
>> And by Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/performance/cc825801.aspx
>>
> It's a 2.5G download --running in the background as I write.
>
> But, do you know if it takes into account processes (exe's) started by the process (exe) being profiled?

I know next to nothing about Windows development since I don't use Windows. I just googled for "profiling windows" and followed the links from the first result I got (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/67554/whats-the-best-free-c-profiler-for-windows-if-there-are). Besides, FPC on Windows does not start any other executables when compiling programs.

And note that even with a profiler you have to know what you should measure, what is relevant and what the results mean before you can draw any conclusions (just like with the disk benchmarking you did). If you don't know anything about that, read the manual/docs. For example, the profiling results I posted earlier to this list do not say anything about the influence of I/O since they were based on sampling the program code executing every 1 millisecond.

Jonas