[fpc-devel] Packages, Generics

Willibald Krenn Willibald.Krenn at gmx.at
Sun Sep 12 11:12:02 CEST 2010

Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:

> Packages have nothing to do with the language feature. The difficult thing
> is run-time resolving of all symbols. What the nature is of these
> symbols is really not relevant.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is runtime resolving so difficult? There is
a fine Delphi ABI that maps classes, simple types, rtti, variables,
methods, constructors, functions etc. to names the linker will then
resolve... Since each symbol is only once included in the whole set of
files that makes an application, I don't quite see the difficulty. Why
is it that much different from a normal dll/so you link against?

If you wanted to get RTTI for a particular type from a package, you
could just manually call getProcAddress(<mangled name>) and use that
pointer.

Willi