[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Dimitri Smits smitco at telenet.be
Sun Sep 12 01:31:43 CEST 2010

----- "Martin Schreiber" <mse00000 at gmail.com> schreef:

> On Saturday, 11. September 2010 12.25:14 Juha Manninen (gmail) wrote:
> > > One would think Delphi and FPC need the same disk IO?
> >
> > I read the threads. My guess is also that the slowness comes from
> searching
> > and writing many files in big directory structures. It is slow even
> if the
> > files are cached. Also starting a new process is slow.
> > These OS kernel tasks are difficult to measure and process monitors
> don't
> > give reliable results.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > Create an API for integrating FPC with IDEs and special "make"
> programs.
> > The API would pass info about exact file names and locations.
> > It could also pass the whole source memory buffers.
> >
> And why does the Delphi commandline compiler (dcc32) not need this IDE
>
> assistance?

it does. Delphi IDE passes extra assumptions/directories that the commandline tool does not know about (for instance $(DELPHI)/Projects/Bpl).

Juha's idea is the way Borland did it with D7. That is: a shared lib with api & a commandline tool. Unfortunately the DLL is not linked from the cmdline tool, so it seems those 2 are separately compiled and statically linked with 'the same' code.

Donno for sure if that still is the case with 2010/XE.

kind regards,
Dimitri Smits