[fpc-devel] FPC/Lazarus Rebuild performance

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Sep 11 11:32:38 CEST 2010

On 11 Sep 2010, at 08:55, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Interesting is that Delphi 7 compiles about 10 times faster than FPC on the
> same machine.
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel%40lists.freepascal.org/msg08029.html
> Results with more code and FPC 2.4:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.ide.mseide.user/18797
> One would think Delphi and FPC need the same disk IO?

First of all, they don't, unless Delphi's source/DCU searching and DCU loading logic is identical to FPC's.

Secondly, even *if* FPC (due to its design) is currently mainly limited in speed by I/O and *if* parellising would not help much because of that reason, then it can still also be slower than Delphi in other ways. Since Delphi 7 does not use parallel compilation (afaik), that's in fact a given.

So yes, FPC is slower than Delphi. Would parallelising FPC reduce the speed gap? Maybe (more likely for hot compiles), maybe not (more likely for cold compiles).

Jonas