[fpc-devel] Re: Lazarus unicode support

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Oct 20 09:38:09 CEST 2010

  On 10/19/2010 11:26 AM, Jonas Maebe wrote:

> Please move this branch of the discussion to the lazarus (or
> lazarus-other) list.

This in fact is not a native Lazarus issue. The Lazarus team can't do a
"decent" Unicode implementation, unless FPC and the RTL provide the
appropriate infrastructure. As Delphi decided to go with dynamically
coded strings for Unicode (what we should not discuss here) I feel that
there is no other way to go for Lazarus.

They could have decided not to provide Unicode at all, but they -
supposedly for good reasons -  decided to do the interim step we see
now, which necessarily  introduces a lot of quirks for those who had
been happy with the non-Unicode versions.

-Michael