[fpc-devel] Delphi-like Packages, Plan

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 4 05:31:17 CEST 2010

Willibald Krenn schrieb:

> What you probably(?) could do is to link all basic packages into the
> executable but still export all symbols, so that when the shared object
> is loaded it finds all necessary entry points.

IMO a dynamic package (.DLL or .so) should only require (depend on)
other dynamic packages. That's why just the basic packages (RTL...) must
exist as dynamic packages.

> However, at the moment I don't see why this is better than shipping all
> necessary ppl files. BTW: I realize that ppl might be a bad TLA - since
> it probably means "people" for quite a number of ppl ;-)

After some reasoning I assume that TLA (here) is not related to threads ;-)

>> The same effect could be achieved by a separation of packages into
>> (Lazarus-type) static libraries, and packages *designed* for dynamic
>
> You had to guarantee that no plug-in depends on a static library that is
> also used by another module (so the exe or another plugin).

In this (bad) case the static library might be linked into multiple
packages - certainly not a desireable situation.

DoDi