[fpc-devel] libtinfo issue

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon Nov 8 11:26:07 CET 2010

?

> svn export http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcbuild/tags/release_2_4_2 fpc242

No? It should be (as in the document):

svn export http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpcbuild/tags/release_2_4_2 fpcbuild

> mkdir fpc242/fpcsrc

?!?HUH?!?! No, just follow the instructions. It will make a directory
fpcbuild/fpcsrc

> cd fpc242/fpcsrc

No: fpcbuild/fpcsrc

> unzip gdb....zip

Yes. Don't forget the docs-pdf.tar.gz.

> > Change into fpcbuild/. Now become root, or use fakeroot, then execute
>  install/makepack
>
> ???
>
> should this be:
> make install
> make makepack

No, just 'install/makepack'. What's so difficult following the
instructions? It's really a no-brainer. So that's what you should not
do: think. Just follow the instructions, don't think you know what to do
better.

> Will it install the new compiler overriding my fpc 2.4.0 ?

No. It will build a release, not install it.

> Plus, which packages brings TeX in fedora? Here in Mandriva there are
> zillions of packages with TeX and I have no idea which one is the
> correct one.

You don't need these packages to build a .tar release. Only if you build
a .rpm or .deb release. (Also mentioned in the document, at least for
rpm, I don't do the .deb building)

And which packages you need depends on your distribution. On Fedora I
need tetex, tetex-latex and tetex-fonts.

Joost.