[fpc-devel] OO rewrite - first round finished

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 20:55:20 CEST 2010

Florian Klaempfl schrieb:

>> The first version of the OO rewrite branch is ready for alpha testing :-)

Well, the alpha test revealed some problems, that have been fixed
(except one).

Now the differences between branch and updated trunk already result in
problems[1], that make testing the OO compiler near impossible. This
raises the question, how to proceed with the integration of both version?

The longer we wait the more it will be improbable that both versions
ever can be merged, by SVN/patch features. That's why IMO a quick
decision is required, whether the refactored scanner/parser classes
shall become part of the trunk, so that further refactoring (of classes
and globals) can be tested on top of the new trunk. I'm willing to
update the branch to a form, that is acceptable for integration - please
specify what has to be done therefore.

>> Now I need assistance in testing
>
> Try building fpc:
> make all

There remains one bug, of unknown reason. How can this be debugged?

> Run the testsuite:
> cd fpc/tests
> make clean all digest TEST_FPC=../compiler/ppc386
> compare the resulting faillog from trunk and from your branch
>
>> and profiling it.

How is the compiler/ppc386 created?

> As a first step, I consider the result of
> cd compiler
> time make cycle
> with a hot disk cache before and after a change as good enough to see if
> a change hurts performance.

What's the Windows equivalent of "time"?

[1] Lazarus (code tools) also have problems with the recent update. Will
the parsers be updated soon? Who is doing that?

DoDi